Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Hasta luego, Londres

7 hours before I get on my first flight, I figure yeah, why not. Now's a good time as any to start a blog. 

An introduction - I'm an American girl from New Jersey that grew up in Singapore and now a 5th year medical student at King's College London. I love medicine and using it as an excuse travel. I hate being hungry and I will try anything. 

I'm about to begin my medical elective, where for 10 weeks I'll be in South America working in the hospital and running clinics. The itinerary: London - Madrid - Lima - Iquitos/Amazon Basin (4 weeks) - Santiago - Mendoza (4 weeks) - Buenos Aires… and back again, with goodness knows what else in between. 

So this blog is for my mom and dad. Like any other Asian parent, they love that I want to be a doctor, a very respectable and reliable profession. Except... there's a lot I plan to do with this skill set (eg venture into a parasite infested, electricity and running water deprived jungle village to treat isolated communities). So I dedicate each post to my parents: hope you guys can breathe just a little bit easier with each new update! 

As for going to South America, I know i'm meant to be revving to go, but I'm actually a bit hesitant. My Spanish is comparable to a 5 year old's, I don't want to wear that massive backpack, and for some unbeknown reason, I can't seem to get the hang of salsa. But heck it's going to be fantastic anyway. Impossible for things to go wrong with steak and wine eh? 

To all my fellow medics out there - buena suerte y tenga buen viaje! 

No comments:

Post a Comment