A senior registrar was standing next to me during an angiogram. At one point he mutters "beautiful" under his breath. I asked him what he was referring to and he replied "the moment the needle hits the femoral artery and the blood comes out of the other end in a pulsing gush". He repeated that it was a beautiful sight, and that as weird as it sounds, cardiology just turns him on.
Later, a different registrar asked me if I had any idea what speciality I wanted to do. I replied honestly with O&G. She smiled at me and said "don't worry, we'll change that." The confidence she has in the allure of cardiology is incredible.
This rotation I've realised that you can't force your love for medicine. This cardiology rotation has been one of my favourites, and I have enjoyed respiratory, paediatrics, even gastro and ortho on previous rotations. But nothing gets me going like obstetrics. C-sections make me want to jump out of bed at 6 in the morning, and stay on the labour ward until well past 5PM. And gynaecology makes my heart swell, especially when you reassure a patient that she can still have children. Honestly, the fact is I just don't feel the same about an angiogram or a funky coloured sputum sample.
Finding the speciality you will commit the rest of your life to is just like what they say about Mr. Right - when you've found it, you'll just know it's The One.
No comments:
Post a Comment